Coffee Grinder Blues

Rereading Nelson Algren's A Walk on the Wild Side, the story of door-to-door salesman of French Dripolator coffee pots and coffee-grinding man Dove Linkhorn, inspiring me to post the lyrics invoked by one of Dove's best customers...


Coffee Grindin' Blues
as sung by Lucille Bogan (1923-1935)

Ain't nobody, it ain't nobody
Ain't nobody in town can grind a coffee like mine

I drink so much coffee, till I grind it in my sleep
I drink so much coffee, I grind it in my sleep
And when it get like that, you know it can't be beat

It's so doggone good that it made me bite my tongue
It's so doggone good it made me bite my tongue
Will keep it for my daddy, ain't gonna give nobody none

I ain't ever loved it this-a way before
I ain't ever loved it this-a way before
And I hope the Lord that I won't love it any more

I've got so now that I can't control my mind
I've got so now that I can't control my mind
I go to bed blue and I get up cryin'

It's so doggone good that it made me talk out of my head
It's so doggone good it made me talk out of my head
And it's better to me than any that I have ever had

Now I grind my coffee, at the 2 and 3 dollars a pound
I grind my coffee, at the 2 and 3 dollars a pound
And it ain't no mo' cheap like mine in town

It's so doggone good until it'll make you bite your tongue
It's so doggone good that it'll make you bite your tongue
And I'm a coffee grindin' mama and won't you let me grind you some?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor woman, when do she rest?
Smile, Dee Ann (who also has a coffee habit)

Michael Fountain: Blood for Ink said...

She never rests; she is a martyr to music.