A MODEST AGENDA FOR THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
1. Raise the federal minimum wage, which now has the same spending power it had in 1955. Override the inevitable presidential veto.
3. Implement the security recommendations of the 9/11 commission. Override the inevitable presidential veto.
4. Reinstate the ancient right of habeas corpus as won by the barons at Runnymeade, seized from the tyrannical hands of King John. Override the inevitable presidential veto.
5. Rewrite the so-called "Patrot Act" to restore privacy protection. Override the inevitable presidential veto.
6. Investigate and shine a light on a) why we invaded Iraq, ignoring the best available intelligence; b) gross negligence by person or persons unknown in the conduct of the war in Iraq.
7. Investigate and shine a light on Halliburton's no-bid contracts in Iraq and damage done to national security by privatizing "security" militias in Iraq.
8. Investigate and shine a light on how and why the Taliban was alllowed to make a come back in Afghanistan.
9. Appoint Grand Juries to investigate, indict and persecute those responsible for torture committed in the name of the people of the United States.
10. a) Supoena EVERYBODY. b) Indict everybody that doesn't turn state's evidence. c) IMPEACH THE MOTHERFUCKER ALREADY.
If the Democrats take the Senate too (12 Midnight here, too close to call), there will be no end-zone dances. But Carl Levin is quietly and judiciously going to start looking for the Truth-- last seen bloody, beaten and left lying in the ditch by George W. Bush.